Thursday, November 15, 2007

flickr and delicious

Firstly, I am a fan of delicious, very simple idea, useful way to organise bookmarks and most importantly access them from anywhere....and the best constructed instructions I have seen on the web.

I signed in to flickr but I almost immediately realised that I have no interest in having me up there on the web, and I am not that interested in posting my photos on the web.

I see what it does and how it might is useful for organising and sharing photos. But really people, do we absolutely want to share every little insignificant thing we have ever done. It probably suffers from the same fate as most of the internet - too much, too much, too much. There are a number of interesting blogs, and there are 100 million that are self indulgent, disjointed, of no interest.

Flickr has 300 million plus photos. Many are great, most are as interesting as the last photo album you looked at that wasn't yours, except there are 300m pictures in this album.... Is that the slide night from hell or what.

Anyway delicious and flickr are both very useful tools to organise and share information or data. With flickr its public face is subject to the same lack of discernment that troubles all the internet. Everything is equal, there is no distinction based on quality, reliability or need. So we all become our own quality controllers, or referees, which is actually very inefficient.

Another issue is privacy. It is something that people are placing far less value on. This may be a good or bad thing. Perhaps the inner life is becoming the internet life. But please, we don't have to share everything, most people are not that interesting....

No comments: