Monday, October 22, 2007

RSS Feeds

I can see the use of RSS feeds for specific areas of information that are frequently updated or for alerts on new pieces of relevant information. The problem I have always had with them is that they slow down the log on process for my PC and usually I have subscribed to broad feeds (ie news of the day) which tends to remind me of lots of important stuff that I am actually not really interested in.

Of the feeds I subscribed to on Google Reader most of them I would prefer just to periodically check the relevant site (for instance BBC for world news) rather than be advised of everything happening everywhere, all day, every day. The same goes for most individual sites.

Far more useful, I think, are feeds from the subscription databases where I can, in effect, get updated search results. So if I search Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 I will be alerted each time a new article fitting my search is added to Master file and Academic in Ebsco.

Mr Wibbel, in his online tute, suggested there was an option to add my feeds to my blog but I couldn't find that on reader. I could put in a link and see if it works but the url looks too simple and general?....No that link only works for me when I'm logged in, not for anyone else.

Anyone got any ideas?

1 comment:

The Learning 2.0 Program said...

I tend to versubscribe to feed and then get confrinted with hundreds of unread articles which all look interesting...a bit like my email OVERWHELMING!!!

Lynette